Seth Godin published a blog post that was 4 sentances, including the title. It spoke volumes. Here’ the entire thing, and below it a couple example of some big names and my take on how they appeal to customers.
People are moved by stories and drama and hints and clues and discovery.
Logic is a battering ram, one that might work if your case is overwhelming. Wal-Mart won by logic (cheap!), but you probably won’t.
- Target wins w/ discovery.
- Marshall’s wins w/ discovery.
- McDonald wins w/ logic.
- Dunkin Donuts wins w/ logic.
- The Four Season’s wins w/ stories of unmatched customer service.
- So does Nordstrom.
- The tailors in Bangkok and Hong Kong win with stories – incredibly fast service and fit that’s noticed from across the street.
- Mandarin Hotel wins with drama.
- So does Vegas.
What does your company win with?