After a couple conversations this week I’ve decided to post a Facebook functionality fact* list.
*that’s “at the moment” anyway
A couple conversations pointed out to me that there is confusion over the way Facebook profiles and pages work and interact with each other. Folks considering a Page are hesitant to begin for fear they will be annoying their friends and family with work related posts from their Page. I guess I’m so immersed in this, I take some things for granted.
So here goes. This is how things work at the moment.
- You must have a personal profile to create a business page.
- It is a violation of Facebook terms and conditions to use a personal profile for your business. So don’t bother creating a bogus profile.
- You “friend” a personal profile. And someone has to “accept your friendship” for you to show up in each others’ newsfeeds. (this is a 2 action process)
- You cannot “friend” a business page.
- Business pages get “liked.” (If you see the “Like” button, it is a Page not a profile.)
- A personal profile or a business page can “like” a business page.
- There is no reciprocal action by the business page in the “liking” process. It is 1 action, by the liker, and you’re done.
- A Page that “likes” another Page does not count in the Fan/Like count shown on the page. (at least now right now, and personally, I think it’s weird they don’t count.)
- Posts from a business page you have liked will show up in your personal newsfeed.
- Posts from personal profiles do not show up in business pages newsfeeds. Ever.
- Every time you log into facebook you land on your personal profile newsfeed.
- Posts from your friends and pages you have liked show up in your personal newsfeed.
- In order to post to your business page you must login and specifically go to your business page. If you post as soon as you log in, the post will go to your personal profile, and all your friends will see it. And none of your fans will see it.
- Your friends don’t see your newsfeed. They can see your Wall, not your newsfeed.
- Pages can have an unlimited number of fans.
- Personal profiles are limited to 5000 friends. If you get to 5000, you can’t be anyone else’s friend and friend requests will just stack up.
That’s it. What did I miss? Or what other questions do you have?